First day in the studio

Well today was officially my first day in the studio at the Tin Shop here in Breckenridge.  The first thing that greeted me this morning was a fresh blanket of snow, with more being added to it at a steady rate.  Oh, joy…I got to use the snow shovel!  This is the view out the windows:

snowy morning
snowy morning
snowy morning 2
snowy morning 2

After waiting ALL day yesterday for my art supplies to arrive they were delivered around 5:30 in the evening.  I got them unpacked and arranged last night but didn’t get much else accomplished besides that.  So this morning after my breakfast I headed downstairs to get busy.  Of course there was still rearranging to do as I settled in and tried to get the space organized into a workable set up.

 I basically have two stations set up now, one for ATC’s and one for whatever other art I happen to be working on.  The ATC station is set up for visitors so that they can create a card or two if they are in the mood.  I’ll be presenting a workshop next Thursday but I thought it would be fun to just make that available to everyone who visits.  Part of the approval process for being a guest artist is what your public interaction will consist of and they seemed very excited about the trading cards so I wanted to have it there for any visitors that are interested in participating.  The cards can be made on most any substrate but I like to be “green” whenever I can so I had been collecting cereal boxes and other packaging materials then cut them into the standard 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 size cards to create on.  Once you’ve painted, glued, stamped, etc. the surface of the card is usually obliterated so even if it started as a Wheaties box it really doesn’t matter.  Of course if it’s an interesting image or pattern it can even be incorporated into your art.  Anyhow, despite my efforts somehow the cards didn’t make it out here with me.  I know they were packed at one point but I rearranged items in the boxes many times trying to make them more managable, I guess at some point those came out and never made it back in.  Bummer!  I’ve discovered that a few other items met the same fate. 😦 So I spent some time this morning cutting out more cards from materials that I had around here, some of it recycled and, unfortunately, some of it not.  Since I was in “ATC mode” I went ahead and made several cards that were covered with sheet music and then went from there.  I like to do my cards in batches with similar backgrounds, it gives me a good starting point and I’m not spending a large amount of time figuring out where to start.  Here are the ones I got finished today:

music artist trading card (c) 2009, Lynne Medsker
"music" artist trading card (c) 2009, Lynne Medsker


laughter artist trading card (c) 2009, Lynne Medsker
"laughter" artist trading card (c) 2009, Lynne Medsker
courage artist trading card (c) 2009, Lynne Medsker
"courage" artist trading card (c) 2009, Lynne Medsker
butterfly artist trading card (c) 2009, Lynne Medsker
"butterfly" artist trading card (c) 2009, Lynne Medsker

If you can’t tell I love quotes!  I have a hard time making an ATC without some sort of quote or at least a word or two written on it.

Other than that I painted some paper with watercolor to be used as a background on future projects.  I also got my “slide show” up and running on my laptop so visitors can see my artwork.  I had five visitors this afternoon, open studio hours are from 2 to 6 on Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday so I will be “open” again tomorrow afternoon.  Perhaps if it’s not blowing cold snow around I will have more than five visitors.  I feel like I need to get busy and create lots of art so there are things for them to see!  There will be a reception on Tuesday evening so I am working toward having more than just some ATC’s finished by then.

This evening I walked over to the local theater and saw a performance of “Office Space: The Musical” which was extremely funny.  If you are a fan of the movie you would have appreciated it…although if you hadn’t seen the movie you most likely would have been scratching your head.  🙂  I’ve seen the movie several times but it’s been a while since I last saw it, now I want to watch it again!  I got home about an hour ago, fixed myself a late dinner and opened up what turned out to be a delicious bottle of wine that I had picked up on one of my excursions out about the town.  So I am relaxing, finishing up my dinner and my wine, writing in my blog and thinking about my pajamas and a good nights sleep.  Then I can wake up tomorrow and do it all over again!  It takes me a while to get in a rhythm when I am allowed to set my own schedule and pace.  I am trying to make it a good balance of creativity, relaxation and  recreation…I’m sure I’ll get it worked out soon enough.  

Sweet dreams until next time,


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s