In my last post I shared a couple of new mixed media wall sculptures. Since then I’ve completed two other pieces, one of which I am featuring in today’s post. “Solaris” (pictured above) was one of five pieces I started on last week. The initial layout looked like this:
I had complete the sun part of this sculpture last year, not quite knowing when or how I would use it. It just seemed a perfect fit for this piece. The rusty washer I found in a parking lot and had to bring home and include in my art, again, it just seemed to fit. The thicker/darker wood we found out in the barn…I’m not sure exactly where it came from but I fell in love with it’s color and how easy it was to work with. I decided to just paint the edges black and leave the rest it’s natural color. I painted the background piece black and then decided it needed a little something extra on the left side so I added the aluminum strip.
By that time I had moved the wood pieces at the top from their original position too. When I colored the aluminum strip it looked great but left the sun looking a little too “cartoonish” by comparison so I added more aluminum to it’s center and colored it to complement the strip.
Now it was ready for the final assembly. I’m still learning this process as I create and I had to work a bit on the back of the piece to get it to hang properly. I’m thinking of easier ways to do that part of these projects…seems I am always learning (even if it’s things you don’t even see)! Today I’m going back out in the studio and see what other projects I can start, finish or just work on. I love my studio days and am SO excited to be gradually spending more time out there.