When I posted images of my new work last week I mentioned wanting to do some more experimenting with the tools & techniques and that’s exactly what I did during my studio time earlier this week. As in last week’s post I have a series of images taken during the progression of this piece to show how it developed. I tend to look at an artist’s work and wonder how they did it, I don’t know if anyone else is that curious but I’ll try to show the steps when I remember to snap images of them. Occasionally I’m so in to what I’m doing that I forget, but these pieces have drying time between layers which helps me to slow down a bit. This time instead of cutting a shape from contact paper and applying it to the illustration board I just cut a large piece and stuck it over the entire board, which also fastened it to the work table and kept it from wiggling around when I worked. The downside of that was that it was ME that had to do the wiggling, twisting & turning when I worked on different areas! I used a ruler and some circle patterns along with freehand shapes to lay out the design, which was numbered in order of the areas I would work on first. You’ll notice some “T’s” in the small circles…I decided to add some texture in those areas using a mixture of gesso and sand.
You can tell by my scribbles on the last image I was already changing my mind on which areas I would paint first and which I would save for later. My first thought was more of a gradient look to the piece but once I got into it that didn’t feel right. In the next image you will see numbers appear again in some areas (#1 & #3) because once that layer was painted & dry I placed the contact back over it to keep that color mostly intact (except a little seeping along the edges here & there!). In the image below that you’ll see I switched out the order of the numbers/areas again too.
By this point I could begin to envision the final image…it was hard to slow down between layers & let the paint dry. I even hit it with a few blasts from a hairdryer a couple of times! 🙂
Along with the last ribbon of color I had to splatter around a bit to spread speckles over the entire piece (except the ones hiding under the contact). A few minutes to dry and I removed the rest of the contact and began working on the “details” in both black & metallic colors. I was getting close to done in this image:
I finished the last small details and settled on the final orientation of the piece and it was finished! As you can tell I added more wax to the surface of the board this time to repel the paint in several areas. It’s fun to see exactly how it turns out since the wax is invisible when I rub it on! Here is a close-up photo of some of the detail of the piece:
This gives you a better “feel” for the texture of the sand/gesso mixture. It was interesting to work with and I think perhaps using a larger area of it in a piece would be fun sometime.
Maybe sometime SOON!