Yeah, 10 months. That’s how long it took me to get these pieces finished…
As I was getting ready to upload the images for this blog I had a feeling that at some point I had already shown the first step in a previous blog. And, after a little searching, I discovered the post from last October. I knew these had been “in progress” a while but wouldn’t have guessed it was that long ago! The other thing I discovered was that I’d done a lot of work on them that never got photographed. So you’ll have to make your imagination leap a bit this time. 🙂 Here’s the first image I have of them:
At that point they were covered with acrylic gel for texture…waiting to dry. Next, I had added several layers of paint/glaze on top of the gel. This is an image in the middle of that process:
When I began working on them again last week there were several more layers on top of the reds & blues show above. I didn’t realize at the time that there were no photos of that stage and I just began working on them without taking an image first. So, here’s the part where you use your imagination! These were another set of images that I used the sand/gesso mixture on to add a rough texture to the surface, you can get a peek at some of the underneath layers since I didn’t cover the entire thing with the sand/gesso.
Once that had dried I began covering it with washes of watercolor & acrylic until I was happy with the colors.
I added just a bit more color and after that dried then I covered the entire piece with a clear glaze. Seems quick & simple now I’ve written it in a blog, even if that’s not how it happened. Creativity is a mysterious thing!
Puzzled & pleased,