Still enjoying the snowy scenery outside, and extremely happy to have a nice warm fire to keep me warm as I work in the studio! I continued my work from yesterday, finished a couple of small pieces, and started a new LARGE project rather unexpectedly too. All in all it was a great day and I’m pleased with the progress. I spent quite a bit of the morning working on the mixed media tree – adding shading to the tree bark and the background and then starting the paint on the background next. Lots of layers of loose paint and blending finished with more left to go, I am excited with it so far. I’m still being stingy with overall images of the progress but here is a close up of it in progress, just to tease your imagination a bit. 🙂
The acrylic & watercolor pieces from yesterday were finished so I got photos of them to post today too. I used the same basic process as I did with “Free to Be” from last week, and decided to continue with the “Free” titles for these pieces as well. In addition to “Free to Imagine” at the top of the blog here is “Free to Disagree” –
I would like to pursue these again in the near future but feel like I need to concentrate on getting some pieces created/finished/display ready for an upcoming show first. Well, I’m going to TRY and wait until I’ve got that accomplished before I go back to them – no promises though!
Although I showed my new collection of cut wood pieces in yesterday’s blog post I just couldn’t get myself to do anything with them today. I seem to need at least a partially analytical frame of mind for constructing the more 3 dimensional pieces and I’ve not had that lately, it’s been all intuitive/emotional raw creative explorations. Which is great, it just doesn’t get any wall sculptures constructed for the time being. Instead I started a LARGE art project on canvas – well on three canvases to be exact!
One of my goals this year is to “use what I got” in my artwork. I am a world-class “gatherer” and love to collect and be surrounded by art supplies of all types. Using them is another thing all together – if I do that then I won’t have them. On the flip side I have spent the last several months doing my best to clean out, recycle, donate or trash things that have been cluttering up the rest of my home. So it seemed natural that it was time to do the same in the studio. Now if I actually run out of something I routinely use I will replace it but I am trying my best not to just mindlessly gather items – initially for the clutter but also as a budget aid too. Anyhow, to get back to the canvas pieces, I have been wanting to do something BIG for several weeks but have been dragging my feet. I have several large boards that would be great for big work but I don’t have the wood to build the framing for them. So I kept putting off my BIG project while I debated about buying more wood for framing. Today I decided to look at my stash of canvases to see what the largest one was, again, trying to use what I have. I didn’t have any really large ones but found three of them that were each 2 x 2 foot square. Hmmmm, this might just be the answer! If you haven’t noticed I have really been having fun making art with compositions that span multiple pieces so it didn’t take me long to figure out that I could use these all together to create a nice big 2 x 6 foot artwork. Woo, hoo!
I had a (very) rough idea of what I wanted to do and then just let the rest roll along as I went. I started with some very loose lines with a soft charcoal pencil all over the surface. The only way I can be really random and “loose” is to close my eyes while I’m making the marks! Once I was happy with that stage I randomly wiped the surface to soften the lines and add different shades of grey across the surface, then I sealed the pieces so they wouldn’t smudge further.
When the pieces were dry I used liquid gold leaf to fill in one area of each canvas. I had decided to use some aluminum mesh that I had bought a few years ago to cover some sections of the canvas. I used acrylic mediums that will dry clear so the charcoal design will show through the mesh. Getting it to adhere to the canvas was a bit of a challenge and I will need to work on it again when I return to the studio to finish attaching all the edges – right now it is drying with the help of various bottles, jars and containers as weights holding down the edges!
I already know what the next few steps will be and have a good idea of what I’d like the finished project to look like too – although I’m always open to inspiration!
From what I am hearing about my family’s schedules I may have lucked into a third studio day this week, BLISS!