What an apt title. Sometime I get away from blogging. But I always return. This time with some new art to share. I’ve been very prolific lately, which is awesome. It just doesn’t correlate with regular blogging. Two sides of the brain I think!
Remember a while back when I shared with you all the gelli prints I’d been making? Well I finally decided what I’d do with them. They make AWESOME background for mixed media art! Add in some book pages, decorative & tissue paper, top it off with charcoal outlines and acrylic ink plus some fun designs with pens and voila! Here are a couple of images of the work in progress.
It certainly ends up looking totally different from the starting point! In addition to this artwork I’ve also complete four large (24×36″) canvases in this style as well as a set of five 6×6″ wood panels. The titles for all the new work come from some of the text that is still visible when the piece is complete. This one had the least text showing of all the new art but from what I could read “sometime” seemed perfect. I’ll be deviating from the geometric for the next few pieces but I’m sure I’ll return!
Thanks for continuing to follow this blog, it’s really appreciated!
This piece has been “in progress” for a few months. I’m excited to finally share it with you!
When I got the idea it took a bit of mulling around on exactly how I’d make it and then once underway it was a bit time consuming. The things we do for art! The first step was to create large pages of mandala-inspired art that would be painted and then torn apart.
I will admit to some mixed emotions about creating something just to tear it into pieces! Art from last year? Wouldn’t have slown me down a bit! While that was in stages of progress I designed the background from old pages of sheet music, watercolor paint and layer of thin paper to lay out a rough shape.
Then it was time to rip, tear and arrange the pieces! In addition to the mandala art that was used I also cut circles from some “not so successful” printmaking projects and added them for color and texture.
It seemed like a great idea but I ended up going a bit overboard. Ack! Color overload. And not very “tree like” either!
The first thing I did once it got to this stage was to paint a thin layer of irridesent white over the background to tone it down a bit (shown above after the background was painted). Then it sat for a while. And then it sat a bit longer. I wasn’t sure where to go with it at this point…I knew what I wanted, but that was about all. One day when I had a friend over to the studio we talked about it and bounced ideas back & forth and before she’d even left I was working away!
I have a fabulous stash of different kinds of paper…okay, I’ll admit it. I’m a paper-aholic! I love paper, thin, thick, solid colors, pattern, textures, flat…it doesn’t matter. So I dug into that and found the perfect piece. A nice brown tree-ish color, very loosely woven with gaps and thin spots for the design underneath to peek through while it gave the piece the unity that I’d been looking for. Happiness!! The next steps were to add highlights, shadows and outlines for definition.
The finishing touches from this point didn’t take long at all, a little charcoal, a bit of acrylic ink and it was done. 🙂 I’ve got a few other pieces that are in progress right now but I’m also shifting focus to holiday projects and gifts so they are moving slow too. Lucky for you I’ve got a backlog of art that I haven’t written about yet. 🙂