What a treat – two weekends in a row I’ve had a day to work in the studio! I could get used to this, but I know it’s the exception not the rule. Again my weekend work has ended in band-aids – perhaps I should be happy that I don’t work in the studio every weekend. 🙂 I spent the bulk of my day working on the three-piece canvas mixed media that I started last week. When I left off it was drying with wire mess on different areas of the canvas. I went back and looked at it several times the last few days and finally made a decision. The wire mess wasn’t going to stay on the canvas, but the fun/funky texture the mesh left behind was awesome. So, with that small decision I created an entire day’s worth of work trying to remove the embedded mess from the dried acrylic. Silly me, I thought perhaps it would just peel up. And it did, in a few spots.
After that I was down to pulling it up, sometimes in ridiculously tiny pieces, with some small needle-nose pliers.
By the time I was close to finishing picking, pulling & plucking the wire out of the second canvas I had a nice blister on my right hand ring finger from gripping the pliers. Oh joy, now I get to finish the rest of the job with my left hand! That slowed the process a bit but after several hours of work it was basically mesh free (there may be a few spots where some mess is left but it looks good to me!). I thought I must have used a better gripping technique with my left hand because it wasn’t hurting at all. Then I actually looked at it and I had worn it past the blister stage to where there was just a nice raw hole in the side of my finger. I am about out of Sponge Bob band-aids after my adventure with the saw last week but I do have a back-up package of Snoopy band-aids upstairs so I think I will get through these injuries as well. Perhaps it’s a good thing that I don’t work in the studio most Mondays, I’ll have a day to recuperate.
By the time the sun went down I had a nice big pile of aluminum mesh scraps to go along with some really cool texture.
Tuesday I will be ready to tackle the next few steps that I had planned to do prior to all this work! I also added more paint to the mixed media tree image I’ve been working on – it’s getting closer to being finished. Be on the lookout for it soon!